For all you Texans, you get this. You probably have a Bucket List, but then you have a separate Texas Bucket List, for things that every Texan should do. For all you non-Texans, I’m sorry. Hopefully you can get here some day and check all these things off of your list. Luckily there is now a song dedicated to a Texas Bucket List. It’s called My Texas, and it’s by The Josh Abbott Band. There is also a little known guy named Pat Green that sings along with him. You may have heard of him?
Anyway, the list in the song has pretty much everything you need to do in Texas – here is the breakdown.
1. Climb Enchanted Rock CHECK At least 4 times
2. Drink a cold Shiner down in Luckenbach CHECK Of course I have! And I’ll do it again, too!
3. Take your baby to the River Walk CHECK And I’m planning on going in March again!
4. Float the Frio River CHECK Used to do this every summer as a kid!
5. Listen to Red Dirt music on the radio CHECK Back when I was in high school, we had a good Texas country music station. Not anymore….
6. Eat Cooper’s In Llano* (sort of) CHECK I have an * by this, because I have had Cooper’s from Llano, but I haven’t had it IN Llano. They were leftovers a friend brought for me to try
7. Go to the Houston Rodeo CHECK Pretty much every year of my childhood, and I showed a steer in Houston
8. Sing “Carry On” at a Pat Green Show CHECK I saw Pat Green AT the Houston Rodeo
9. See an Abilene sunset
10. Catch a trout in Port A(ransas)
11. Heard the words to “Corpus Christ Bay” CHECK Robert Earl Keen is one of the best – I know all the words!
12. Watch fireworks on PK (I had to look this up, it’s Possum Kingdom Lake)
13. Have a kolache when you go through West* (sort of CHECK) Again, the * means I had them when a friend (the same friend who brought me Cooper’s from Llano by the way, brought me some, but I haven’t had fresh ones. Doesn’t matter though – they were still A-MAZ-ING.
14. Heard of the Larry Jo Taylor Fest
15. Go to the Fort Worth Stock Show CHECK I showed a steer here too
16. Sing along with Cory Morrow CHECK Did this 3 times last year!
17. See a hill country sunset CHECK It’s beautiful every time
18. Hike through Big Bend CHECK I practically lived there for 6 years while I was in college!
19. Let your hair blow through the Lubbock wind
20. Be somewhere that they call you “friend” CHECK I count a lot of places, most of them in Alpine. You always run into someone you know there!
21. Go to the San Antonio Rodeo CHECK Showed a steer here too…
22. Sing “Everclear” at a Roger Creager show CHECK At least 8 times
23. See an El Paso sunset CHECK Best place in Texas to get factory direct boots, but it was quite a drive to get to even when I lived out West. So of course I saw the sunset!
So as you can see, it’s a lot of sunsets and listening to good country music. I’ve done most everything on this list. I think there are a few things that need to be added to it though. See live music at The Salt Lick (and get the Family Style bbq meal. Just trust me on this.), go to Wurstfest in New Braunfels, the Llano Crawfish Open, horseback riding on the beach on South Padre, have a beer on the Front Porch of Terlingua, swim in Jacob’s Well, see a Willie Nelson show, drive down a hill country road to see the bluebonnets at their peak, watch the sunset over Lake Travis at The Oasis, drink cold Texas beer on a hot Saturday night, go 4 wheeling on the Brazos River, eat Huevos Rancheros at Bob’s Taco Station, eat at ALL of the Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ joints, and go on every brewery tour (this is going to be a hard one, since new breweries are popping up all the time!), smell the wild Mountain Laurel blooming, get a Round Rock donut, go to Pete’s Piano Bar, and climb Guadalupe Peak, the tallest mountain in Texas. Sounds like I’ll be busy, because I have a few more to do. And the things I’ve marked off the list already, I’ll probably do again.
On Earth As It Is In Texas.